Friday, December 3, 2010

Day 3 ---- #Reverb10 - Moment

Prompt: Moment. Pick one moment during which you felt most alive this year. Describe it in vivid detail (texture, smells, voices, noises, colors). Author: Ali Edwards Memory Keeping Idea Books
@aliedwards

So I've been pondering this post all day long. I find it hard to even remember what happened yesterday, let alone at the beginning of the year. (I guess that is another great reason to have this blog - to document things.) However, I'm going to go with the first thing that came into my head early this morning...

The moment was really an event - the Cal versus Oregon football game.

The Hubs and I went to the game with low expectations (bad Cal Fans!), but with Cal not playing exceptionally well and Oregon being the Number 1 team in the country, I didn't want to expect too much.

Upon arrival, the atmosphere was like none of any of the other games I had been to all season. The place was PACKED with supporters from each team. The smell of garlic fries mingled with that of kettle corn creating the typical sports event enviornment. It was the first evening game of the season and the sky was turning just the slightest pinkish hue as the sun set in the West. If our seats were higher we would have had a beautful view of the sunset over the bay.

This game was one of the BEST I had ever seen. The energy was palpable and Memorial Stadium was the loudest it had ever been. The Cal fans, decked head to toe in blue and gold, were on their feet buzzing on every defensive play. There was pandamonium as Cal's offense scored and took the lead. Here we were an unranked team beating the Number 1 in the country. A short while later, Cal was behind. My stomach was turning with anxiety (only a true sports fan can understand). As we entered the last quarter, the anticipation built as just a single field goal would put us on top. A quiet stillness came over the stadium as the kicker went for it ... the preparation, a slight stumble, the kick, it's GOOD! The crowd went WILD! Then the flags... A penalty on the play. The kick must be redone. The stillness resumed and the kicker prepared once again. He made the kick and it was ... just wide.  A defeated groan swept the stadium. I felt a slight sadness that we had come SO close, I could taste it! We were defeated by only a score of 15 - 13.

In the end, I felt pride for my underdog team who really did so well against a team that was SO good! No one expected so much of them. Even though their perforance in the weeks that followed were less than stellar, I still sure do LOVE my Bears!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good game! Guess that's why you're such a die hard fan now :)

    ReplyDelete