Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Day 29 - #Reverb10 - Defining Moment

Prompt: Defining moment. Describe a defining moment or series of events that has affected your life this year.
Author: Kathryn Fitzmaurice, The Year the Swallows Came Early, @KFitzmaurice


Unfortunately for me, the only defining moment that I can think of was one that won't win any "Best Moment of the Year" awards in my book.

The most defining moment of 2010 was back in June when I was abruptly switched from one position within my company to another. With no warning, I was all of a sudden on new projects with a new boss and someone else was now working on all the projects that I had worked so hard on.

I think the hardest part of the switch was the confidence I lost in myself. I was really confident in the work I had previously been doing and was really looking forward to gaining more responsibility and expertise in that area. I felt like I was being "kicked out" of one group, like I wasn't worthy of working in it anymore. I instantly felt like an outsider in a group I had been a part of for over a year. I felt like no one really cared how I felt about the move, especially when it was common knowledge how much I liked what I was doing.

The switch really put me in a funk that I was in for most of the second half of the year. There were times when the projects in my new position weren't really progressing as planned, so there wasn't much work to do. I felt inadequate and like I wasn't being used to my full potential (and sometimes still do...).

It will be admitted now, that the way I was switched from one group to another wasn't well done, but the damage had already been done.

I'm still in the process of trying to find my voice in this new position and find a way to REALLY make a difference. I'm trying to learn how to navigate some of the different mindsets that I am encountering in this new group and trying to help bridge the gap between my old group and this new one.

I'm hoping that as we enter 2011, that I can really FULLY comes to terms with my new role (since I haven't quite done that yet) and find a way to LEARN and GROW from these new experiences.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jen- This same thing happened to me when I came back from maternity leave about 6 1/2 years ago. It was awful at the time. There was some political bs.. going on, and the new VP and I did not see eye to eye. I'd been in the company for 7 years, almost 5 in my department, and had built it up from scratch with my former VP. He had a male ego and wanted to make changes I knew wouldn't be successful, so I fought him on them. When I returned from having my son, I was asked to take another position that was created for me in another division. I saw this as their polite way of trying to get me to leave. As it turned out, it was a good change - a VERY GOOD change. I LOVED my new SVP and he ended up being my biggest champion and still a very good friend. The undue stress I had been under in the old position was no longer there and I learned new skills and made new relationships that help me to this day (in another company).

    So, there is light at the end of your tunnel. It may not be revealing itself to you yet, but there is an underlying reason for the change in the "master plan" of your life path.

    As for that nasty VP? Oh, he lasted another few months and left to go to a company that went under less than a year later. Hmph!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the comment Shannon. It's nice to hear about others going through similar situation! Funny that this happened to you right after your maternity leave. It's one of my big worries about juggling a career and family. In the new year, I'll have a whole blog post about it!

    ReplyDelete