Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Workin' 9 - 5 ... NOT!

Make it more like 10am - 9pm.

It has been only two days of "who knows how many" of my new work schedule. Limited equipment during the day has basically forced me to shift my hours in order to get things done. And instead of just leaving instructions for those who work at night, I am required to babysit to make sure things are done right. The experienced people who would not need as much instruction are only available during the day...but again, with no equipment available, I'm stuck!

I'm forced to get as much done as possible in a short period of time causing me to work even longer and subsequently later into the night. It sucks...especially when things on the project I'm working on don't turn out as planned.

But you know what is hands down the crappiest part?? Not seeing The Hubs.

Yesterday, by the time I got home, The Hubs had already left for a late night job walk (It was for Bart, so 10pm - 4am was the only time no trains were running.) This morning, I woke up and left before he got up. Then this evening, I got home and he was already in bed. 

My dad works swing shift and my mom always complains about it. I would tell her that it can't be that bad. He's able to get stuff done in the morning that normally wouldn't be able to be done at night. I'm eating my words now because it really can be that bad! It is REALLY hard to get anything accomplished before 10am, especially when gym time is in order!

I'm trying to look on the bright side, but it's difficult.

Do any of you or your spouses have crazy work schedules? How do you deal with it? Can you see any silver lining to this situation?

2 comments:

  1. This doesn't really compare because I work in the house (your schedule is much harder because you're not in the comfort of your own home!) but I pretty much work 8AM-4PM and then 8PM-11PM. There's not much I can do about it because I am pretty much at the mercy of writers who publish at all times of the day, but I have to somehow turn that into a steady 8AM-7PM publishing schedule, which means I pretty much work all day with a small break for dinner and TV with my husband. We publish on the weekends too, although not full schedule.

    It's tough---I don't like to think about it too much because I love working at home. But, I would love to somehow find a way to have more regular hours. I definitely don't go to the gym...I mean come on. I have 4 hours of free time during the day, I'm not going to blow 1.5 of it in the gym! Haha. My husband and I hike a lot although admittedly not as much in the winter (no daylight in the evening).

    All this to say, it's not exactly the same as your hectic schedule, but it is liveable. You definitely have to find ways to turn lemons into lemonade...like my husband and I hike as much as possible to get exercise and also find time to talk to each other then. If we went to the gym seperately, we'd practically not speak to each other at all during the week even though we live with each other!!! (Admittedly, we're eat in front of the tv for dinner kind of people...so talking during dinner time is out. I have to watch my precious, precious shows!!!)

    It's difficult, but really try to find a way to speak to each other, each day, without any outside forces going on. Even if it means one of you staying up a little later or waking up a little earlier...that 1/2 hour or so of uninterrupted couple time is so important, and so hard to find :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ick, I'm so sorry. I'm lucky that J & I have similar work schedules and are usually at home at the same time. I can kind of (on a small scale) relate when I'm in school. When I get home at 9:30, we don't have much time to spend together before I go to bed and do it all again the next day. Those 3 month stretches are hard, so I can only imagine how hard it must be for you two. I'm sorry :(

    ReplyDelete