Saturday, January 1, 2011

Goal Setting for an AMAZING 2011

Typically, as the first of the year rolls around close friends and family will ask me,"What's your New Year's Resolution?" I always respond with typical "New Year's Resolution" answers and say "Worry and stress less. Live happier. Work out more." I've found that even though I may really try to implement these resolutions into my life during the first few weeks of the year, as February and March roll around I've gotten back into my same old routine.

This year, I've decided to take a different approach.

For 2011, I am going to set specific, attainable goals, and BLOG about how I'm doing in achieving them so I'm held accountable. 

I've never been that much of a "Goal Setter". Grant it, I had things I wanted to accomplish like get my Master's Degree, get married, buy a house (all of which I accomplished over the past few years!), but these are all very generic and typical life milestone sorts of things. My goals for this year are going to be more specific and hopefully attainable.

So here are some goals I have for 2011, as we ring in the New Year:

1.) Hire a Personal Trainer
This is something that I have wanted to
do for a long time. Before I got engaged in February 2009, I told myself that when I got that ring, I would get a trainer. Well, that never happened! I always had some excuse like no time or wanting to save money. This year, there will be no excuses! The Hubs got me 8 personal training sessions for Christmas! (Love him!) I want to have a personal trainer because I want to be pushed. I want to see what I'm really capable of in the gym and I don't think I can reach my full potential alone.

2.) Take a Trip - It is no secret that I'm afraid to fly. Like terrified. I've been on a plane only a handful of times (the furthest was to Vegas) and its usually a trying experience for me and whoever I'm sitting next to. Being afraid to fly really limits the places I can go and I HATE that. I'm also frugal, which doesn't bode well for lengthy or far away excursions. This year though, The Hubs and I are going to take a trip - be it Seattle (where we've REALLY wanted to explore), Chicago (I really miss my friend Sophi!) or San Diego (BlogHer '11 anyone??).



3.) Find 3 Mentors - In person or online, I'm looking for mentors who can help me find the answers to questions I'm having trouble finding the answers to. I want to establish connections with those who may have been in similar situations and see how they approached them. Some of the areas I would love to explore with a mentor include work/life balance, having a career and a family, and figuring out what my passions and how I can use them to make my life more fulfilled. Networking and maintaining relationships with those I meet are going to be big parts of accomplishing this goal. Finding a life coach may also fit in this category.


4.) Take a Class - Photography, Meditation, Cooking, Crafting - whatever. I love to learn new things! It's one of the things that I KNOW I am passionate about. I believe that taking classes and continually learning will bring some much needed balance and happiness to my life. Added bonus, if I have classes scheduled in the evenings, I'll be FORCED to leave work on time!





5.) Buy Stuff. Specifically, things for the house. We NEED to get a TV console to put the TV on and hide the hundreds of cords we have on the floor. I've also been thinking of getting some new lamps (for the living room and bedroom), curtains for the bedroom, furniture for in front of the living room window, an area rug for the living room, frames to put up pictures in the hallway, the list goes on and on. Indecision and being cheap have stopped me before, but not this year!



I think I'm going to try to do a similar goal setting exercise at work too. (My company isn't big on specific goals, more like general "make more money for the company" goals, which really aren't that helpful!)

Do you have any goals for 2011? How do you plan on achieving them?

Happy Goal Setting!

P.S. - After I wrote this post, I find an article on Gretchen Rubin's The Happiness Project about 5 Questions to Make Effective Resolutions. I think I did a pretty good job of addressing these questions without having even seen them! :-)

Image credits: 24 Hour FitnessSeattle Luxury, Shutterstock, Noshzilla, Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment