Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Refreshing!

You know the saying "You don't know what you've got until it's gone."? I know it's mostly used when talking about relationships, however, I've found its relevance in my professional life.

As you know from a previous post, I've been working crazy hours - like 10am to 9pm crazy. It's been happening for about 2 weeks straight. It's exhausting and annoying.

However, today  I am grateful for it.

Why you may ask?

Because, yesterday I was able to work a normal 8am - 5pm day and OMG was it REFRESHING!

I was able to leave and come home when it was still light out.
I was able to enjoy both the sunrise and the sunset on my drive to and from work.
I was able to go to lunch at a normal hour and hit up the gym so I could get home early to hang out with my husband.
The day flew by and when it was 5 o'clock I was outta there (and didn't feel guilty).
I got a lot more accomplished because I could go back to my good ol' morning routine.
I was able to go to Starbucks and get a morning snack.

I know that I likely have a few more 10am-9pm's  in my future, but I think it will really help me appreciate the normal days that I often used to despise.

If you had asked me last week if I would be grateful for working crazy hours, I would have given you a big "HELL NO!".

I hope this new perspective will help me continue to see the things I should be grateful for in any challenge, obstacle or negative thing that occurs in my life. I know it won't be easy, but now I'll have the post to always come back to and remind me!

1 comment:

  1. Similar to your experience, I often wonder what vacations really "FEEL" like to people that don't work...like trust fund babies. I mean do they savor their days soaking up the sun or reading or doing nothing as much as the rest of us working joes do? (Maybe they do? I don't know.) There's something to be said about being able to appreciate free time when there's so little free time to be had :)

    We experienced a similar moment this morning---I was driving my husband to work (we only have one car) and this morning, the sun was peeking out (it was around 6:30). We were both SO EXCITED that it was starting to get light out---every day before today it's still been pitch black. We started talking about spring, and all the hikes we look forward to now that the days are getting longer.

    It's the small things :)

    ReplyDelete