Friday, February 4, 2011

Change my Name, Change my Name

So when The Hubs and I got married in November of 2009, I had already decided I was going to change my name. I even was gifted with a Miss Now Mrs gift card to make the process easier! However, being the lazy bum that I am, it took me 6 months to get around to actually going to Social Security to complete the process. In the few weeks that followed, I changed my name at the DMV, work and at the bank where I do the majority of my business.

And that is where my motivation stopped...

It is almost 9 months later and I still haven't changed my name in the following places:

~ All Credit Cards (I still have my old ID so I can still use them.)
~ Old 401K
~ ING Savings Account
~ Mutual Funds
~ Title on the House
~ Real Estate License
~ Passport
~ And probably tons more places I haven't thought of!

I just made an appointment with our tax guy and I'm freaking out a little that I'm going to screw things up for our taxes because I've only half way changed over to my new name. My social security number is the same though and should link up to both names, but I'm still worried. I guess we'll find out in a couple of weeks! (I also hope we find out we get a BIG refund! The Hubs and I both withhold the max from our paychecks and never adjusted it after buying the house so that should help increase our refund...)

I really need to get on the ball and just send out all the letters and copies of my marriage certificate to get things rolling, but again I'm lazy and would rather spend the little time I am at home with The Hubs watching a movie.

Did anyone else take a long time to fully change to your new name after getting married? Is there any other totally obvious place that I am forgetting about where I should change my name?

1 comment:

  1. There's a lot of things I haven't changed too! It sucks. There's so many things! My passport is still under my maiden name, and basically, that is better ID than a driver's license, so that's how I travel.

    ReplyDelete