Tuesday, February 15, 2011

"Kindle Reads" - The Help


I had wanted to read The Help by Kathryn Stockett since probably September after I saw a couple of my SWE friends reading it while at a conference. I put it off as I finished reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series and as I tried to read the first book in The Outlander series (which I still haven't finished). I finally finished the book yesterday and REALLY enjoyed it.

It is a story told from the point of view of two African American maids during the Civil Rights movement and one young white woman who wants to try to understand their lives and make a difference. The relationship between these women is VERY complicated as they dance around the fact that there is obviously an inherent social hierarchy. You get to see both the good and the bad of people on both sides of the racial divide. It also not only deals with racial discrimination, but also womens' rights and their place in society. Kathryn Stockett did an amazing job and allowing the reader to fall in love with the characters and feel for them during every triumph or heartbreak.

Did anyone else read The Help and love it as much as I did?

No comments:

Post a Comment