Tuesday, January 4, 2011

"Adventures in the Kitchen" - Turkey Meatballs

For, the next installment (and first of 2011) of my "Adventures in the Kitchen" involves a recipe I've made before and is healthy and delicious!

These Turkey Meatballs are courtesy of my favorite gal, Oprah!

Ingredients (Serves: Makes 15-20 meatballs)
  • 2 lbs of turkey (I used 1.25 lbs and kept everything else the same)
  • 1 medium onion - chopped
  • 1/2 red pepper - chopped
  • 1/2 green pepper - chopped
  • 3 cloves of garlic - chopped
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 Tbsp. bread crumbs
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp ground pepper
  • Olive oil or vegetbale oil
  • Flour
Directions (with a few modifications)
Heat oil in a skillet. Use just enough oil to coat the bottom of the skillet.

Add onion and stir briefly, until almost yellow.


Add red pepper, green pepper and fry for 2 minutes. Add garlic and stir for 2 minutes.


Remove skillet from stove. Let cool for 10 minutes

Mix together turkey, eggs, salt, pepper, sautéed onions and peppers and bread crumbs.


Place flour on a large plate to help create the meatballs. I use a tablespoon to grab some of the turkey mixture.


I place the turkey mixture on the flour and move it around so there is flour on all sides.


I then take the mixture into my hands and form a ball. I add flour as necessary to keep the shape.


These meatballs may break apart some since there are pieces of bell pepper and onion in them. (Don't worry! They still taste great!)

Oprah chooses to fry each meatball in the skillet until slightly brown, pressing the center slightly to ensure it is fully cooked.

I choose to place a piece of parchment paper on a shallow baking pan. I bake the meatballs at 400°F for 25 minutes. I flip them halfway through with tongs so that they brown on both sides.

Here's the finished product:


Once done, I served with pasta (whole wheat medium shells is our FAV), pre-made red sauce, and canned corn.  Leftovers are eaten in a sandwich or just by themselves (the Hubs LOVES to dip them in BBQ sauce.)! Bon Appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment